Reducing Risk

Take action

Someone calling for help

Responding in an emergency

In a medical emergency it is always advisable to call an ambulance straight away. It is better to overreact than to leave your friend in a serious condition untreated.

If you are in need of an ambulance call 000. It is important that you stay with the affected person and lie them on their side. If they are awake see if they are willing to drink water.

Read about the save-a-mate campaign.

If a situation has become violent or a crime has been committed you should call NSW Police. In emergencies call 000, but if you just want to report a non-serious crime call your local Police station.

If you think your friend is developing a drinking problem, it may be appropriate to intervene, or tell a parent or trusted adult. You may also choose to contact a Drug and Alcohol Service in your area.

Take the First Aid Quiz.

Create an emergency flow chart